VET Student Loan Scheme
Any student who enrols from 1 January 2017 will have access to the VET Student Loans program, which is replacing the current VET FEE-HELP scheme. This is a new vocational education and training student loans program, provided to give eligible students access to quality higher level VET qualifications, particularly to those students who could not otherwise afford to pay upfront.
The VET FEE-HELP scheme continues to apply to all students who commenced study before 31 December 2016.
VET Student Loan is a loan to help Australian and eligible New Zealand citizens pay for part of an approved Diploma course. The loan is issued by the Australian Government to make higher education more accessible, by removing the burden of full upfront tuition fees.
VET STUDENT LOANS - WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR ME?
VET Student Loans assistance is a loan from the Commonwealth. The loan will remain as a personal debt obligation until it is repaid to the Commonwealth. The loan may affect (by reducing) your take-home (after-tax) wage or salary until the debt is repaid, and may affect your borrowing capacity until the debt is repaid to the Commonwealth. Students are required to repay this loan through the taxation system once they earn $54,869 (2016/2017 income year).
When you enrol in a course of approved study with Careers Australia, you will be required to complete a Request for VET Student Loan form. The signed form applies to a loan cap for the VET course of study, charged on a unit by unit basis. Census date(s) will apply to each of the VET units of study in which you enrol, with you taking out a loan for any tuition fees that remain unpaid at the end of each census date.
You may cancel your enrolment by:
- withdrawing from each VET unit of study on or before the census date; and
- in accordance with the Careers Australia Cancellation Policy;
Cancellation will result in you:
- not incurring a VET Student Loan debt; and/or
- receiving a refund for any up-front tuition fee payments made on or before the census date
You may wish to seek independent financial advice prior to applying for a VET Student Loan.
Eligibility criteria apply. For more information, visit the Department Of Education and Training .
HOW DO I KNOW IF I’M ELIGIBLE?
You are eligible for VET Student Loan if you:
- are an Australian citizen or permanent humanitarian Visa holder or a qualifying New Zealand citizen* ;
- will be residing in Australia while you complete your studies;
- are enrolled in any relevant units on or before their census date;
- have completed and submitted a formal request;
- have a current Australian Tax File Number;
- have not exceeded the FEE Help limit;
- have met the academic acceptability requirements (see the VSL entry procedure for more details).
Check out the Department Of Education and Training website to learn more about VET Student Loans, *eligibility for qualifying New Zealand citizens and how it works.
I’VE CHECKED I’M ELIGIBLE. WHAT NEXT?
Browse our range of courses to find one that suits your career goals! We offer flexible learning options on many of our courses, which means you can study on campus, online, at work or a mixture of all three. If you need help at any point, don't hesitate to contact us
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT VET FEE-HELP?